Dr Jane Sherwood
Head of Administration and Finance
I work with the Head of Department, the heads of RDM’s divisions and their lead administrators, and the central RDM Strategic team on all aspects of strategic and operational planning and governance. I am responsible for the non-academic management and operation of the department, via the professional teams that provide the services and resources to ensure the effective operation of the department, including:
- budgeting, forecasting and financial planning;
- development of business cases and provision of management information;
- departmental governance;
- personnel management and planning, including recruitment;
- equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI), and Athena Swan coordination;
- research facilitation;
- research grant applications and pre- and post- award grant management;
- graduate studies;
- communications and public engagement.
I work directly with the Medical Sciences Divisional Office, senior administrative staff in the University and other Heads of Administration and Finance.
Academic and professional background
I read Classics as an undergraduate at Corpus Christi College, Oxford, followed by a DPhil in Ancient History. I then lectured and worked as a research assistant.
On joining Oxford’s University Administration and Services (UAS), I held a variety of posts, and was the Deputy Head of Planning when in 2003 I became Jesus College, Oxford's first professional Senior Tutor. In 2009 I returned to UAS as the University’s Director of Graduate Admissions and Funding. From 2016 I was Director of the Oxford Learning Institute, the University Language Centre and the Academic Administration Division's Lead for Student Experience. I joined RDM in 2022.
Supernumerary Fellow of Jesus College, Oxford.