BHF CRE Intermediate Transition Fellow
- BHF CRE Intermediate Transition Fellow
- Sir Henry Wellcome Post-Doctoral Fellow
- Eugene Braunwald Fellowship in Cardiovascular Medicine 2018-2019 BWH
Chris completed his PhD at Imperial College London under the supervision of Professor Michael Ferenczi and Dr. James Sellers (NHLBI, NIH). Studying cardiac muscle regulation in health and disease. He subsequently began a Post-doc with the support of a Sir Henry Wellcome Post-Doctoral Fellowship with Professors Christine and Jonathan Seidman at Harvard Medical School and Professor Hugh Watkins at the RDM Oxford.
Chris is currently supported by a BHF CRE Intermediate Transition Fellowship In Oxford to investigate the role of thick filament variants in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). The laboratory focuses on CRISPR/Cas-9 engineering of human induced pluripotent stem cells. These cells can be differentiated into cardiomyocytes, which are used to model human heart disease in a dish.
In the Press and Editorials
- BBC website 'Cancer treatment broke my heart, but I've survived'
- Nature Reviews Cardiology Editorial ‘Modulating myosin function to treat hypertrophic cardiomyopathy’
- Circulation Editorial ‘Manipulating Myosin May Help Treat Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy’
- Circulation Research Editorial ‘High-Throughput Contractility Assay for Human Stem Cell-Derived Cardiomyocytes: One Beat Closer to Tracking Heart Muscle Dynamics’
- HMS press release and interview ‘On the Beat’
- HMS press release and interview ‘Bad Brakes’
- HMS press release and interview 'Revving the engine'
Sharma A. et al, (2020), eLife, 9
Pua CJ. et al, (2020), Circ Genom Precis Med
Toepfer CN. et al, (2020), Circulation, 141, 828 - 842
Efficient Large-scale Sarcomere Tracking (sarctrack) to Assess HCM Variants in iPSC-CMs
Toepfer C. et al, (2019), CIRCULATION RESEARCH, 125
Functional Characterization of a Novel Human Heart-specific Microprotein With a Potential Mitochondrial Localization and Role in Sarcomere Dynamics
Muecke MBB. et al, (2019), CIRCULATION RESEARCH, 125
Repetti GG. et al, (2019), Circulation research, 124, 1536 - 1550
Garcia-Pavia P. et al, (2019), Circulation