What can I expect at my appointment?
You might be referred to our service if you, or a relative are thought to have an inherited cardiac condition.
- You should allow up to 3 hours for your visit.
- We will ask about your health and may examine your heart.
- You may then have some tests, such as an electrocardiogram or echocardiogram, and be seen again by the same doctor who will explain the results of the tests.
- The doctor may want you to have further tests at another appointment. The doctor may prescribe medication for you. He or she will tell you whether you should be seen again in our clinic, and when.
- You may see a genetic counsellor, who will talk to you about your family, and may offer a genetic test.
Because cardiomyopathies and arrhythmias are often inherited conditions, we will ask about your relatives, and their health. We will draw a family tree, which helps us to see who is, or might also be affected by the condition, and how the condition is passing through your family. It is helpful if you can bring any information you have about your family’s health history.