Institute Safety Officer/Health & Safety Manager
I have a scientific background in Biochemistry having received my licenciate degree from the University of Lisbon in 2004. From there I went on to complete a PhD in Clinical Biochemistry at the Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, USA.
I started working for Oxford University in 2012 as a research assistant in the The Division of Cardiovascular Medicine (CVM) part of the Radcliffe Department of Medicine (RDM). Since then I have transitioned to a more operational roles like Lab Manager and now Health and Safety Manager.
Some of you might know me from working in other buildings like the Wellcome Centre for Human Genetics or the Old Road Campus Research Building.
This is my first position that covers exclusively Health and Safety and my goals for the WIMM are to make the topic more approachable and the information on it easier to find. Hopefully I can demystify peoples views on H&S and engage everyone via bespoke training.
- Nebosh General Certificate, A Plus Safety Training. Distinction 10/2022
- Introduction to Biological Safety, University of Edinburgh 08/2022
- First Aid at Work (QCF), September 2017
- Departmental Safety Officer Modules 1,2 and 3.
- Good Clinical Practice, January 2020
Other courses attended:
- Containment Level 3, Webster’s Biosafety Ltd (1 week course arranged by UO Safety Office)
- IRIS Report Management
- Radiation Protection Supervisor (RPS) Open Sources/X-ray
- Laser Safety for Research Supervisors
- DSE Assessor
- Introduction to Management at Oxford
- Fire awareness training including how to use a fire extinguisher
- GCP and HTA training
- Transport of Dangerous Goods